On 10th July 2014 we went for an amazing and informative trip to Jinja where we visited four interesting sites related to ISSB (click on the link for a mapped location):
- Community centre construction site by Newgate Technologies;
- A building materials workshop by Actogether;
- Recently constructed Community Toilet;
- Headquarters of Haileybury Youth Trust.
Community centre by Newgate Technologies
The community centre consists of class rooms, volunteer sleeping quarters, meeting rooms and washrooms, all constructed using the ISSB technology:
For the next step we visited Actogether. They are doing an impressive and innovative work and have developed a construction system based on prefabricated components that can easily be assembled, offering economic advantages in terms of construction cost.
- Actogether has constructed a fermiculture Bio fill toilet. The construction entails; portioning (1m high, 1.2m wide), laying banana fiber, wire mesh and banana fiber again, laying a net, placing manure, adding water, and placing worms that feed on the human waste. The number of worms depends on the number of users. However, 7 kilos of worms decompose waste of 15 people per day.
We visited a community toilet for the people that work in a market place in one of the suburbs of Jinja town. It is run by the people within the community. The toilet was funded by the World Bank and built by Actogether using ISSB for most part. However, other materials were also used like concrete,ladies, T beams…
Finally we went to the HYT Headquarters. HYT mainly train the community on the use of the ISSB’s technology.
After HYT Headquarters we left Jinja and came back to Kampala…